[BioC] problem upgrading limma on Windows Vista

Susan J. Miller sjmiller at email.arizona.edu
Fri Mar 7 19:53:23 CET 2008

Perhaps someone has seen this behavior and can help:

I am working with a student who has a Windows vista laptop.  She had
installed R 2.6.2 and Bioconductor.  When working with the swirl sample
data set and trying to normalize within arrays, an error with the lowess
function was occurring.  I checked the limma version and it was 2.9.7,
so we tried to install limma 2.12, but got a warning that the prior
version of limma cannot be removed.  Oddly, the machine is in a state
such that if from the R GUI we choose Packages->Load Package, limma does
not appear on the list (which makes sense because there is no limma
folder in C:\Program Files\R\R-2.6.2\library).  Yet if we try to install
limma, we see the 'cannot remove prior version' error.  We even
uninstalled R and re-installed it, but the same problem with installing
limma persists.

I guess I never should have joked early on that we could probably blame
this problem on Vista...but it's looking like that may be the case.  Any
ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Susan J. Miller
Manager, Scientific Data Analysis