[BioC] Agilent and Limma

Francois Pepin fpepin at cs.mcgill.ca
Tue Jul 21 19:46:21 CEST 2009

Hi Peter,

Are you trying to just replicate the results exactly or you want to try
another set of analysis method?

It should be possible to replicate most of the results from GeneSpring
using Bioconductor, although GeneSpring is not very good at describing
all their methods (but maybe it's changed since). Unless you want to
better understand the GeneSpring procedure (or if you don't trust their
results), this maybe not what you want to do.

If you want to try another analysis technique, then there is a whole
world in front of you, both for the normalization and for the
differential expression. If you just want to see what limma tells you,
then you might just want to use the normalized values from GeneSpring,
otherwise I would start from the raw values. Either way, I wouldn't
start from the image level

The Agilent scanner (if that's what you're using), can assign weights to
each spot, which limma can use. I personally am not a big fan of
present/absent calling methods, so maybe someone who use them more can
chime in.

The best advice is probably to read the limma user guide. you should see
pretty much all the information that you need to get started (including
normalization).

HTH,

Francois