[BioC] Imitating Affy's own steps

cstrato cstrato at aon.at
Mon Apr 12 22:55:18 CEST 2010

Since Henrik has kindly mentioned the comparisons I did between affy,
APT and xps let me make some comments, too:

If you want to replicate as close as possible the results obtained with
the Affymetrix software, i.e. the original "GCOS" software or the newer
"Expression Console", respectively, then you need to use the command
line tool APT, which you can freely download from Affymetrix. As Figure
4 of my vignette shows, the results obtained with APT are almost
identical to GCOS, while both affy and xps give slightly different
results for a couple of probesets.

Although the reason for the difference between xps and APT is not
completely clear to me there are three known differences:

1, Looking at the source code of APT you will see that all computation
is done using "float", i.e. 32 bit, while in xps all computation is done
using "double", i.e. 64 bit.

2, Some CEL-files contain [MASKS] and [OUTLIERS] sections which list
probes to be excluded from further calculation. These probes are not
excluded in xps.

3, For background computation a 4x4 grid is used. The center for each
zone is determined slightly different in APT and xps.

BTW, you can find the code used to obtain Fig.4 in
xps/examples/script4xps2apt.R.

Best regards
Christian