[BioC] Rgraphviz windows version incompatible with current Graphviz

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Mon Mar 28 19:54:34 CEST 2011

On 03/28/2011 10:50 AM, Richard Gill wrote:
> Dear Martin
>
> Thanks for your advice! This brings me a lot further.
>
> But shouldn't some of this info be contained on the 'front page" of
> Rgraphviz at bioconductor? If you install a windows binary you don't
> get to see a README file from the source package, and shouldn't have
> to expect, I think, that really crucial information is hidden there.

I guess really we'd like the installation process to be painless.

The landing page does say "Users on all platforms must install graphviz;
  see the README file, available in the source distribution of this
file, for details." and loading Rgraphviz says, under recent R (2.12 for
sure; I think 2.11 and maybe earlier), when unable to install,

             Check that (1) graphviz is installed on your system; (2)
             the installed version of graphviz matches '2.20.3'; this is
             the version used to build this Rgraphviz package; (3)
             graphviz is accessible to R, e.g., the path to the
             graphviz 'bin' directory is in the system 'PATH' variable.
             See additional instructions in the 'README' file of the
             Rgraphviz 'source' distribution, available at

http://bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/html/Rgraphviz.html

             Ask further questions on the Bioconductor mailing list

             http://bioconductor.org/docs/mailList.html

Martin

--
Computational Biology