[BioC] EdgeR: about FDR

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sun Nov 4 03:32:11 CET 2012

Anna,

I found your question difficult to interpret.

If I understand your question correctly, you have compared a treatment A
back to a control treatment, and you have also compared treatment B back
to the control.  So you have contrasts AvsControl and BvsControl.

Now you make the contrast BvsControl-AvsControl, and you find some genes
significant that were not significant for either BvsControl or AvsControl.

This is not a mistake, and it's no great mystery.  It can easily be that B
is higher than the Control for some gene, but not by enough to reach
signficance, and A is less the control for the same gene, but not by
enough to reach significance, but the combined difference B vs A is large
enough to be significantly greater than zero.  This is just because B-A is
larger than either B-Control or A-Control.  In such cases, you know that A
and B are different, but it is not necessarily discernible whether both or
just one are different from the control.

How you interpret such genes depends on your scientific questions.  We
can't tell you how to do that.

Best wishes
Gordon

PS. Please check over the posting guide, which has been expanded recently: