[BioC] EdgeR: about FDR

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Mon Nov 5 16:12:17 CET 2012

Hi Anna,

On 11/3/2012 10:23 AM, anna [guest] wrote:
> hi again everybody,
> actually log FC is not a worry because I can choose a cut-off myself ( logFC>1 for example),
> the worry is more about FDR that are>0.05 in list A or B, but still the gene has FDR<0.05 in the contrast list,
> so is that gene significantly differently regulated ?

If I understand what you have done, you are asking three different
questions:

Is a gene differentially expressed after treatment A
Is a gene differentially expressed after treatment B
Is a gene differentially expressed when comparing treatment A to treatment B

So if I assume that questions 1 & 2 are treatment/control, and question
3 is treatment A/treatment B, then there are several scenarios where 1 &
2 wouldn't be significant, but 3 would. For instance:

Gene x goes down in treatment A vs control, but not significantly.
Gene x goes up in treatment B vs control, but not significantly.
Gene x is significantly different between treatment A and treatment B,
because the gene goes in different directions in each treatment, and
when comparing the treatments this difference is large enough to be
significant.

Best,

Jim