[Rd] RAqua

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Aug 13 07:58:20 MEST 2003

Jan de Leeuw <deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu> writes:

> 5. Interaction with Tcl/Tk is still problematic. For instance, Tcl/Tk
> takes over the menubar, and if you don't use tkStartGUI() the
> tk windows don't respond to mouse clicks. For instance, try
> using Rcmdr. Also if you use tkStartGUI(), and AquaTk has
> taken over, it creates windows (for instance for downloading CRAN
> packages) without scrollbars. This is important, because Tcl/Tk
> is still the only possible way of building GUI applications
> from RAqua.

tkStartGUI is just a proof of concept and many parts of it are
sketchy. It doesn't create scrollbars on unix either, but you can
scroll with the middle button (now how do you do that with a single
button mouse?). It would be easy to add the scrollbar, I just don't
think this is due to bad interactions with Aqua in particular.

Starting yet another console to get Tk windows to respond is just
wrong. Presumably, the case is that nothing is running the Tk event
loop and that tkStartGUI executes a "wait variable" which runs the
loop by itself. It should be fairly easy to wedge a tk event handler
into the Aqua loop (disclaimer: I don't have access to a Mac, I'm just
assuming that Aqua works like other GUI toolkits and allows you to
define idle handlers and the like).