[Rd] Re: [R] R works on Fedora Core 3

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 10 20:01:12 CET 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 08:05 +0000, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> > [Moved to R-devel.]
>
> > Second problem: gcc 3.4.2 does not work `just fine': it has a pesky bug
> > that causes several CRAN packages to fail/give incorrect answers.  Now
> > Linux distros have a very nasty habit of distributing bug-enhanced
> > versions of major software, so this may be fixed in FC3 but in any case
> > gcc-3.4.3 is now out and a worthwhile upgrade.  (Apparently Mandrake
> > backported the bug to `3.4.1' ....)
> >
> > I would recommend either installing from the sources or building from the
> > SRPM.  Hopefully by the end of the week we will have some i686 machines on
> > FC3 (only x86_64 so far) and so be able to make RPMs available.
>
> I am finally up and running on FC3 this morning. Took a while to
> download the DVD ISO via Bittorrent...
>
> Using:
>
> # gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat 3.4.2-6.fc3)
>
> I installed:
>
> Version 2.0.1 beta (2004-11-10)
>
> from source this morning.
>
> It passes make check-all without problems.
>
> Prof. Ripley, is there a particular CRAN package upon which I can test
> the bug issues that you refer to above to confirm their presence or
> absence on FC3?

I know minpack.lm and nlmeODE used to fail R CMD check in the examples on
the real gcc 3.4.2. I've just tested they on an AMD machine under FC3, and
they seem OK -- what I am not sure is if they ever failed there (they did
on i686).

At a quick glance the embedded reference in etc/Makeconf to gcc 3.3.3 when
compiling packages with Fortran is not causing problems as 3.4.2 has
reorganized where things are.

My tests are on a server in a server room, and at present Xvfb won't run
on it (I think it needs cleaning up after the upgrade), which limits the
testing I can do tonight.

Brian

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk