[Rd] Re: [R] installing on alpha (tru64)

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Sep 27 08:39:44 CEST 2004

    Alexa> Dear Martin Maechler, I have tried installing today's
    Alexa> version of R-2.0.0 and have exactly the same problem.

I'm reverting to R-devel.  Please *never* direct such topics to
individuals unless they invite you particularly to it.

    Alexa> I have read INSTALL and the relevant sections of "R
    Alexa> Installation and Administration" (which does
    Alexa> recommend the GNU make).  We have the default Tru64
    Alexa> unix "make" and a POSIX "make" which I also tried.

    Alexa> I do not have the GNU version of "make" and have not
    Alexa> found it easy in the past when I looked into
    Alexa> obtaining GNU software for our platform.  It would be
    Alexa> unfortunate if that is the only solution.

I don't know for sure, but I doubt that it would be difficult to
get a working GNU make on Tru64 .. though that may not be the
important thing at the moment.

    Alexa> What is frustrating is that I had no trouble
    Alexa> installing an earlier version of R (1.4.0),

that was 3 year ago -- a "decade" in software time-space
if we hadn't changed things, R would not collaborate with
today's (as opposed to 2001's) operating systems, system
libraries, compiler, etc.

    Alexa> so it seems that the installation procedure has been
    Alexa> changed along with the software.

I'm sure the software on your computer has been changed in other
ways as well during the last 3 year; that's simply inevitable

    Alexa> The "include" works fine when I specify an absolute
    Alexa> path or when I put a definition of top_srcdir prior
    Alexa> to it (but that seems to cause other problems).  I am
    Alexa> thinking that I may have to put in an absolute path
    Alexa> in other places as well to get this to work.  But
    Alexa> that may take a considerable time to trace through
    Alexa> all of the various make files.

that definitely shouldn't be necessary.
We'd rather have to see what went wrong and may only need a
small change to fix it.

We may need more details (e.g., output of 'configure' ; exact error message).

Have you followed my advice below and installed into a different
*build* directory ?
Please reply to R-devel.

Regards,
Martin Maechler