[Rd] CRAN Task Views: ctv package available

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Fri Mar 11 20:04:36 CET 2005

Achim Zeileis wrote:

> Paul,
>
> thanks for the feedback.
>

>>If I understand this correctly, I think it is a great idea. Just to be
>>sure I do understand, would you expect there might also be a "Time
>>Series" view, which would probably overlap some with the
>>"Econometrics" view?
>

> In principle, the presence of an "Econometrics" view does not preclude
> the existence of a "TimeSeries" or "Finance" view (I already talked with
> Dirk privately about the latter). Even if the overlap in packages would
> be substantial, there could be value added via the information on the
> corresponding HTML page.
> Currently, my personal opinion would be that we don't need a separate
> "TimeSeries" view and that we should extend the information on the
> Econometrics page instead. But it's not unlikely that I could be
> convinced otherwise :-) So if you've got suggestions in that direction,
> just let me know.

Achim

For my own purposes the "Econometrics" view is just fine, but I do
sometimes get questions about dse from people in fields that are
different enough that they might not even know to look in
"Econometrics." A time series view might be useful even if it only said
see also ... .  Another approach to this might be to have sub-views so,
for example, "Econometrics" and "Control theory" could both point to
"Time series."

Other things that might be useful are various programming views, like a
Matlab view, and an SPSS view.

I feel uncomfortable suggesting things that sound more like work than
feedback, because I am not about to offer to maintain anything. I have
too much on my plate right now. But in this regard it would be nice to
draw on more people contributing smaller pieces. Have you considered
something like a wiki?

Best,
Paul