[Rd] CRAN Task Views: ctv package available

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Fri Mar 11 20:26:34 CET 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:04:36 -0500 Paul Gilbert wrote:

> For my own purposes the "Econometrics" view is just fine, but I do
> sometimes get questions about dse from people in fields that are
> different enough that they might not even know to look in
> "Econometrics." A time series view might be useful even if it only
> said see also ... .  Another approach to this might be to have
> sub-views so, for example, "Econometrics" and "Control theory" could
> both point to "Time series."

Yes, that is, of course, an obvious idea but it requires more
coordination between the different views, hence we've decided not to
support hierarchically ordered views.
Re: "ControlTheory". If someone would raise his hand and provide a view
for that, it would be great. It could, of course, link to the
"Econometrics" view (and vice versa) but they wouldn't have a formally
defined subset in a "TimeSeries" view.

> Other things that might be useful are various programming views, like
> a Matlab view, and an SPSS view.

I'm not sure what you have in mind here, because I would think that this
amounts more to using the language in general than using certain
packages. But if someone has good ideas for a Matlab or SPSS view, I
would be interested to hear them.

> I feel uncomfortable suggesting things that sound more like work than
> feedback, because I am not about to offer to maintain anything. I have
> too much on my plate right now. But in this regard it would be nice to
> draw on more people contributing smaller pieces. Have you considered
> something like a wiki?

Yes, there have been discussions about stuff like that on R-SIG-Finance.
I think the presence of an "Econometrics" view shouldn't keep people
from setting up an econometrics wiki if they want something like that.
But my personal preference would be that someone starts collecting and
maintaining code snippets in an R package rather than a wiki. The
gregmisc bundle is a place for something like that with general
statistical functionality. And back then, when this was discussed on the
finance SIG, I suggested that someone who has some critical mass of code
would start something similar for finance/econometrics/time series
stuff.