[Rd] Numerical optimisation and "non-feasible" regions

Patrick Burns pburns at pburns.seanet.com
Thu Aug 7 18:57:25 CEST 2008

If I understand your proposal correctly, then it
probably isn't a good idea.

A derivative-based optimization algorithm is going
to get upset whenever it sees negative infinity.
Genetic algorithms, simulated annealing (and I think
Nelder-Mead) will be okay when they see infinity
but if all infeasible solutions have value negative infinity,
then you are not giving the algorithm a clue about what
direction to go.

Pat