[Rd] default par

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue Jul 26 23:31:56 CEST 2011

For number 1, one option is to use the setHook function with the hook in plot.new.  Using this you can create a function that will be called before every new plot is created, your function could then call par with the options that you want, this will set the parameters on all devices.  However it could cause problems if you ever wanted to change those values for a plot, your call to par would be overwritten by the hook function.

For number 2, S-PLUS did have the default to warn when points were outside the plotting region, this was annoying when people intentionally used the limits to look at only part of the data, so I don't think it would be popular to bring back this behavior in general.  You can use the zoomplot function in the TeachingDemos package to expand the range of your current plot to show data that was outside the limits, or I believe that if you use ggplot2 the plots will be expanded automatically to include all the data (unless you limit the range in the call).  You could also write your own points or plot function that would check the range and give warnings then call the regular points or plot function.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org