[Rd] rowsum

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Tue Mar 29 14:56:35 CEST 2011

    > with the entirely different rowSums, but it has been around
    > for a long time.)
    A lot longer than rowSums ...
    > Bill Dunlap
    > Spotfire, TIBCO Software
    ---
      This made me smile.  The rowsums function was originally an internal
    part of the survival package, used for fast computation of certain sums
    when there is a cluster() statement.  It was Statistical Sciences
    (S-Plus) who moved it to global status.  That is, they used it in enough
    other places that they decided to speed it up, took over the
    maintainance and ownership of the function (with my blessing), and
    ceased to label it as part of "survival" in the manual.
      This "metabug" can't be laid at R's feet.
    Terry Therneau