[Rd] Reading 64-bit integers

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Tue Mar 29 21:33:01 CEST 2011

In S+'s readBin() you can use the argument output="double" to
read 8-byte integers from a file and to put the closest equivalent
value into a double precision vector.  It is also useful when reading
unsigned 4-byte integers that may be above 2^31.  The help file says
   output
          Like what but used when the type of data in the file is
          different than the type of S-PLUS vector used to store the
          data. what refers to the data in the file and output refers to
          the output of readBin. output=double() is useful for reading
          unsigned 4 byte integers (so integers bigger than 2^31 are not
          read as negative numbers) or even for 8 byte integers on
32-bit
          versions of Splus. In the latter case you may lose some
          precision, but reading it as 4 byte integers will omit the 4
          high order bytes.