[Rd] R 3.0, Rtools3.0,l Windows7 64-bit, and permission agony

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 16:27:17 CEST 2013

On 21/04/2013 6:57 PM, Hadley Wickham wrote:
> > PS. Hadley, is this what you meant when you wrote "Better solutions
> > (e.g. Rstudio and devtools) temporarily set the path on when you're
> > calling R CMD *.", or those approaches are only when you call 'R CMD'
> > from the R prompt?  I believe the latter, but I just want to make sure
> > I didn't miss something.
>
> Well both devtools and RStudio allow you to do package development
> without leaving R, so neither do anything to your path when you're not
> using them.
>
> In teaching windows users to develop R packages, I found the use of
> the command line to be a substantial road-block, and if you can
> develop packages without leaving R, why not?

The idea of temporary additions to the path during the
INSTALL/build/check code sounds reasonable.  R could probably do it more
accurately than devtools or RStudio can (since we know the requirements,
and you have to guess at them), but could hopefully do it in a way that
isn't incompatible with those.

The code called by install.packages() and related functions within R is
essentially the same code as called by R CMD INSTALL etc from the
command line, so this would help both cases.

Duncan Murdoch