[Rd] R-Forge > GitHub?

Wed Jun 26 17:25:40 CEST 2019

On 26/06/2019 10:34 a.m., Spencer Graves wrote:
> Hello, All:
>

>         What's the status and future plans for R-Forge?
>

>         I ask primarily because a problem I reported May 15 and 17 via
> two different channels has yet to be fixed, and it prevents my
> development versions of the Ecdat and Ecfun packages from building --
> because the Windows version cannot find "Matrix";  see below.
> Secondarily, the version of R that R-Forge tried to use earlier today
> was 3.5.3 -- NOT the current version.
>

>         Assuming you recommend migrating to GitHub, do you have a
> preferred procedure?  I found
> "https://gist.github.com/friendly/7269490".  This says it was "Last
> active 2 years ago" but seems to be the most current advice I can find
> on this right now.  That looks complicated, but I assume it preserves
> the edit history on R-Forge. ???

R-Forge is mirrored on Github; see https://github.com/rforge/ecdat, for
example.  That shows 418 commits in its history; presumably that's the
full R-forge history.  I think that's newer than Michael Friendly's gist.

So I suspect (but haven't tried to do this) that migration now is as
simple as doing a Github fork to your own Github account, and then
basically forgetting about the R-forge stuff, or deleting it (and I
don't know how to do that).

Duncan Murdoch