[R] Use of Second Monitor Question

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Fri Aug 22 01:24:40 CEST 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:55:34 -0400, kjetil brinchmann halvorsen wrote:

>On 21 Aug 2003 at 16:51, Uwe Ligges wrote:
>
>Slightly off-topic, but: we are about to buy a data show to put up
>permanent in an aula. All "data shows" I have seen use the monitor
>port directly, so the monitor is blacked out. Is it possible to have
>a set up where I can see both on the monitor and the audience the
>projection? From the answer to this Q, it seems that would work well
>with R.

Most reasonably new laptops allow the display to show in both places.
(There may be limitations on the resolution to accommodate this.)

The original question was about showing different things on each
monitor:  the console visible to the speaker, and graphics visible to
the audience.  I don't know of any PC laptops that do this, but I
think some Macs can.  At least that was my interpretation of a minor
flap before a presentation at UWO where the projector showed the
desktop and the laptop screen showed the stuff the audience was
supposed to see.

I think to do it on a desktop PC you just need to add an extra video
card.

Duncan Murdoch