[R] Kendall, cor.test, ties, why?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 21 15:44:13 CEST 2004

How many permutations do you think there are?  Direct enumeration is only
efficient for single-digit sample sizes, and those are too small to be
interesting in practice.

The issue is to count them reasonably efficiently: if there are no ties
this can be done inductively on the sample size, but otherwise it is a lot
more complicated.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk