[R] R packages install problems linux - X not found (WhiteBoxEL 3)

Martyn Plummer plummer at iarc.fr
Mon Aug 9 18:51:38 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 15:13, Dr Mike Waters wrote:

  [SNIP]

> Once all this had been sorted out, I was then left with a compilation error
> which pointed to a missing dependency or similar, which was not due to
> missing developer packages, but, as you and Prof Ripley correctly point out,
> from the R installation itself. Having grown fat and lazy on using R under
> the MS Windows environment, I was struggling to identify the precise nature
> of this remaining problem.
>
> As regards the R installation, I did this from the RH9 binary for version
> 1.9.1, as I did not think that the Fedora Core 2 binary would be appropriate
> here. Perhaps I should now compile from the source instead?

The Red Hat 9 RPM is appropriate for you, but it is currently buggy, so
you are best compiling from source.  I need to add gcc-g++ to the list
of "BuildRequires" (packages that must be installed at build time).
This isn't strictly necessary to build R, but if R is configured without
a C++ compiler, of course it does not know how to build packages with
C++ code in them.

Martyn