[R] R via ssh login on OS X?

James Howison jhowison at syr.edu
Tue Jun 29 09:04:36 CEST 2004

On Jun 29, 2004, at 1:22 AM, Ulises Mora Alvarez wrote:

> Hi!
>
> If you are trying to log in from another Mac to the G5 there are some
> details to bear in mind, though. If you are indeed trying from a Mac,
> I'd
> suggest you to launch your local X server; then, from an xterm 'ssh
> -X...'
> to the G5. Of course, if the sshd on the G5 is configured so that its
> /etc/sshd_config says 'X11Forwarding no' you'll be not able to use the
> X11
> device for graphics; but you can search for a solution on the list
> files.

That's good thinking.  That hadn't occurred to me and would be great
for the graphical stuff.  Goes to show that Xwindows has the right idea
for networked graphics while aqua is hopeless in that regard.

I don't think that this problem happens in R-1.9.1 because if I ssh
into my laptop from a remote box as a non-logged-in user R behaves
perfectly on the commandline.  Or maybe the install on the G5 is
fubared.

Happily I have managed to solve my immediate problem on the G5 by
compiling a copy of R in my home directory.  This wasn't the easiest
primarily because I didn't have f2c installed (and because I don't have
root I couldn't put it in the normal place).  I'm going to say how I
did it in case this is handy for others (frankly I hope others don't
have to go through this ;)

I grabbed the f2c code from
ftp://netlib.bell-labs.com:21/netlib/f2c/src.tar
and libf2c from http://www.netlib.org/f2c/libf2c.zip

Both built ok.  I moved the f2c executable, f2c.h and libf2c.a into
~/f2c.  Don't forget to run ranlib over libf2c

I set the environment variables:

LDFLAGS=-L$HOME/f2c/
CPPFLAGS=-I$HOME/f2c/   (for some reason the --includedir just didn't
seem to work ...)

(had to remember to do this before configure)

then did

./configure --prefix=$HOME/Rinstall/ --enable-R-framework=no
--with-x=no --with-lapack=no

and then

make

This basically worked but for some reason lapack was still trying to
build and that was failing, so I deleted it from the appropriate
makefile and the rest of the compile went fine.  The lapack confusion
stopped some of the recommended modules from building but I didn't need
those (just sna which built fine from CRAN).

I didn't do the actual install but am just using the full path to R.
It is working fine in command-line mode now and the calculations are
running as I type.

I didn't test this but I did also read that people are able to get
around the "need graphical launching access" by using OS X fast user
switching.

Thanks everyone!

--J