[R] How to know if a bug was recognised

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 30 13:55:05 CET 2004

You have already been sent an answer.  It is a bug in your copy of
Windows, and it will be worked around in the current version of R-patched.
From the CHANGES file:

   R 2.0.1 patched
   ===============

   We work around reported bugs in Windows XP as to which characters are
   printable by attempting to print all non-control characters when using
   print().

Note: no one else has reported a problem on 98SE, despite this having been
the behaviour of R for three months, and it seemed only XP SP2 was
affected.  Indeed, no one reported the problem for 2.0.0 at all, including
all the alpha and beta test versions (except for Chinese where the
characters are invalid and so the behaviour was correct), and so the
workaround did not make 2.0.1.

BTW, your expectation that an email you sent at the weekend will be
answered by Tuesday is completely unreasonable.  R is a volunteer project,
and the developers do have other commitments (and occasionally make
attempts to have a life).

[You could have read the archives of the R mailing lists to find that this
was a known issue that had already been addressed.]