problems with par and startup (was Re: [R] font sizes)

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Wed Mar 16 13:55:12 CET 2005

Well, one way you can try is to define the different styles you want in
your $HOME/.Rprofile file (see ?Startup). For example

  library(graphics)
  op   <- par(no.readonly = TRUE)               # store original par
  par0 <- function(){ par(op) }                 # restore original par
  par1 <- function(){ par(lty=1, pch = "X")   }
  par2 <- function(){ par(col=2, cex.axis=0.1)}
  dev.off()                     # kills the empty window spawned by par

A typical call might be
par1(); plot(1:5);  par0()
par2(); plot(1:10); par0()

It would be more useful to write this as a parser but I do not know how.

BTW, why does calling par(), even with no.readonly=TRUE argument always
insists on opening a graphics window when there is none present. This is
a little bit annoying as the focus changes to the plotting window. Does
anyone know how to turn this feature off ?

Regards, Adai