[R] Installation problem MacOS X

joerg van den hoff j.van_den_hoff at fz-rossendorf.de
Fri Mar 18 12:52:39 CET 2005

Hector L. Ayala-del-Rio wrote:
> R gurus
>    I have tried to install the R 2.0.1 binary for OS X and although the
> installation was successful I can get the application going.  When I
> double click the icon R tries to load (R window shows briefly) and it
> quits immediately.  This behavior was described in this list before and
> nobody found the answer to the problem. If you try to load the x11
> version by typing "R" at the command line it loads up with no problem.
> This means that the app is partially working and there are no
> permissions issue.  The most interesting thing is if I log to a
> different account (Dummy) and I double click the application it loads
> with no problem.  This makes me think that there has to be some type of
> user specific file or directory that is causing the gui to quit.  Any
> suggestions on what file(s) could be affecting R?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hector

> Héctor L. Ayala-del-Río, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Biology
> University of Puerto Rico at Humacao
> CUH postal station
> 100 road 908
> Humacao, PR 00791
> Ph: 787-850-0000 x 9001
> Fax: 787-850-9439

you have moved the R app already to it's final destination (instead of
starting it from the mounted disk image)?

I would try the "Console" utility (in /Applications/Utilities) to have a
look at console.log and system.log (or inspect the logs directly:
/private/var/log/system.log and /Library/Logs/Console/vdh/console.log)
immediately _after_ an  attempt to start the R app. probably it's a
permission problem all the same.

regards
joerg

ps: there is a R mailing list exclusively for OS X users: