[R] Re-binning histogram data

Charles Annis, P.E. Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
Fri Jun 9 04:17:15 CEST 2006

Concerning the several comments on your note relating to histograms, an
informative and entertaining illustration, using Java, of how your
subjective assessment of the data can change with different histograms
constructed from the same data, is provided by R. Webster West, recently
with the Department of Statistics at the University of South Carolina, but
as of May 2006 with the Department of Statistics at Texas A & M University,
http://www.stat.sc.edu/~west/javahtml/Histogram.html  and
http://www.stat.tamu.edu/~west/

Charles Annis, P.E.

Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
phone: 561-352-9699
eFax:  614-455-3265
http://www.StatisticalEngineering.com

-----Original Message-----
From: r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch
[mailto:r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of Justin Ashmall
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 5:46 AM
To: r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: [R] Re-binning histogram data

Hi,

Short Version:
Is there a function to re-bin a histogram to new, broader bins?

Long version: I'm trying to create a histogram, however my input-data is
itself in the form of a fine-grained histogram, i.e. numbers of counts
in regular one-second bins. I want to produce a histogram of, say,
10-minute bins (though possibly irregular bins also).

I suppose I could re-create a data set as expected by the hist() function
(i.e. if time t=3600 has 6 counts, add six entries of 3600 to a list)
however this seems neither elegant nor efficient (though I'd be pleased to
be mistaken!). I could then re-create a histogram as normal.

I guessing there's a better solution however! Apologies if this is a basic
question - I'm rather new to R and trying to get up to speed.

Regards,

Justin