[R] book on regular expressions

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 12 14:04:26 CET 2007

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, S Ellison wrote:

>> Could someone recommend a good book on regular expressions with focus
> on
>> applications/use as it might relate to R.  I remember there was a
> mention of
>> such a reference book recently, but I could not locate that message
> on the
>> archive.
>

> It's not specific to R, which wraps regular expressions up in quoted
> strings so has a couple of wrinkles compared to Perl, but I found the
> O'Reilly " Regular Expression Pocket Reference" a good quick reference,
> and rather cheaper than the whole book. It's hard to see R users needing
> chapter and verse on the complete gamut of regexps.

One has to remember that books go out of date: for example the advent of
UTF-8 locales has led to a number of changes in the implementations.
The O'Reilly books have third (2006) and second (2007) editions.  (BTW the
pocket reference is not by the same author as 'Mastering Regular
Expressions', so in no sense is part of 'the whole book'.)

I don't think anyone has mentioned the references given on the help page
?regexp: they are a great deal more reliable than some of the third-party
write-ups that have been mentioned.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk