[R] Form of the equation produced by a GLM with Poisson family and log link function

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 27 08:28:05 CET 2007

Have you looked at the references on ?glm ?  They will all explain this to
you (the first and last are simpler than the other two).

The short answer is that predictions from the linear part of your model
are for the natural log of the mean response.  That is the default option
for predict() on a glm fit, but there is also predict(fit,
type="response") which predicts mean response.  The Poisson family is an
assumption you have supplied about how the response counts vary about the
mean, that they are Poisson and independent with a mwan predicted by the
model (for the 'true' coefficients).

These are statistical (and not 'math') issues.