[R] psychometric functions

Dimitris Rizopoulos Dimitris.Rizopoulos at med.kuleuven.be
Thu Aug 21 15:08:55 CEST 2008

Yes, indeed, the ltm package has the function tpm() that can fit
Birnbaum's three parameter model that allows for a guessing parameter
(i.e., when the ability levels \theta -> -Inf, the probability for
correct response is allowed to be nonzero) but it does not have a
function to incorporate an upper asymptote. I am not aware of any
other R package that can fit this model.

According to my experience, the models with asymptotes are not
particularly numerically stable, especially when the guessing
parameters are practically zero (i.e., the maximum is on the boundary
of the parameter space). In such cases, the 'constraint' of tpm() can
be used to set the guessing parameters for some items to zero and
investigate data set at hand.

I hope it helps.

Best,
Dimitris

Quoting "Doran, Harold" <HDoran at air.org>:

> I am pretty certain a function for this model does not exist. Jan
> Deleeuw or Dimitris Rizopolous may suggest otherwise. There is a package
> for a model that would allow for the lower asymptote of the function to
> be > 0; it does not however, allow the upper asymptote to vary from 1
> (well, it tends to 1) and this is in the ltm package.

Dimitris Rizopoulos
Biostatistical Centre
School of Public Health
Catholic University of Leuven

Address: Kapucijnenvoer 35, Leuven, Belgium
Tel: +32/(0)16/336899
Fax: +32/(0)16/337015
Web: http://med.kuleuven.be/biostat/
      http://perswww.kuleuven.be/dimitris_rizopoulos/