[R] can't R CMD INSTALL on WinXP

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Tue Oct 14 21:04:35 CEST 2008

Dear All,

I recently got a laptop upgrade, and had to re-install the tools I used
for building R packages on Windows (XP SP2).  I'm running into a strange
problem that I can't resolve.  Can anyone shed on light?  This is with
R-2.7.2 patched 2008-09-20 r46576, Rtools.zip downloaded a couple of
weeks ago, and MikTeX 2.7.  The output below was from a cygwin shell
(PATH modified apropriately), but it's identical to what I get under
Windows command prompt.  I've also tried adding the -l flag to install
in another directory that I'm sure is writable, but same problem.

$ R CMD INSTALL -c randomForest
installing to 'c:\R\library'

---------- Making package randomForest ------------
  adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
  installing NAMESPACE filecp: cannot create regular file
`c:/R/library/randomFo
rest/NAMESPACE': Permission denied
 and metadata
Error in file(file, "r") : cannot open the connection
Calls: <Anonymous> -> parseNamespaceFile -> parse -> file
In addition: Warning message:
In file(file, "r") :
  cannot open file 'c:/R/library/randomForest/NAMESPACE': Permission
denied
Execution halted
make[2]: *** [nmspace] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [pkg-randomForest] Error 2
*** Installation of randomForest failed ***

Removing 'c:/R/library/randomForest'

Best,
Andy
Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachme...{{dropped:12}}