[R] Ubuntu, Revolutions, R

David M Smith david at revolution-computing.com
Mon Oct 5 15:38:21 CEST 2009

Andrew is correct: the upcoming release of Ubuntu (Karmic Koala) will
feature the REvolution R distribution. (I am a REvolution Computing
employee.) Our developers have been working with Canonical's
representatives over the past several months to upgrade R in Ubuntu to
2.9.2 and to include the REvolution R extensions.

> My question(s) for the community is this (pick any question(s) you like to
> answer:
>        Should I install the REvolution Computing packages?
>        Do these packages really make R faster?
>        Are these packages stable?
>        What are your experiences with REvolution Computing software?

Whether you install the REvolution Computing packages is up to you.
When you upgrade to KK, the only change made to stock R is the
.Rprofile.site file, adding the message about how to install the
extensions. (You can edit the .Rprofile.site file if you prefer.)

If you do install the extensions, no changes are made to the core R
language (it is 100% compatible with stock R). R will be linked to
multi-threaded math libraries, which will improve performance for some
mathematical operations (particularly on a multi-core system, where
more than 1 processor will be used). So you should expect it to make R
faster.

Installing the extensions also installs some additional packages from
REvolution Computing, including foreach and iterators, and Simon
Urbanek's multicore package from CRAN. The REvolution packages have
been in use for over a year, and are very stable. In any case they are
not attached by default. But if you do load these packages, you can
use the "foreach" function to parallelize loops, making R run faster
on multicore systems.

I'll leave others to speak of their experiences of REvolution
Computing software (our contributions to the community include the
packages nws, foreach, iterators, doSNOW and doMC and REvolution R
itself). But from my personal perspective, I'm proud to have been able
to extend awareness and use of R to new domains, and to improve the
performance of R for many users.

# David Smith
Director of Community, REvolution Computing

--
David M Smith <david at revolution-computing.com>
Director of Community, REvolution Computing www.revolution-computing.com

Check out our upcoming events schedule at www.revolution-computing.com/events