[R] Temperature Prediction Model

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 22 14:22:20 CEST 2009

Aneeta,

You will have to have a seasonal component built into your model,
because the seasonal variation does matter, particularly -where- you are
geographically (San Diego, Chicago, Denver, Miami are very different).
Generally, there is a sinusoidal daily temperature variation, but
frontal passages and thunderstorms, etc., can and will disrupt this nice
pattern. You may have to tie this into temperature predictions from a
mesoscale numerical weather prediction model. Otherwise, you will end up
with lots of misses and false alarms…

Regards,
Tom

Aneeta wrote:
> The data that I use has been collected by a sensor network deployed by Intel.
> You may take a look at the network at the following website
> http://db.csail.mit.edu/labdata/labdata.html
>
> The main goal of my project is to simulate a physical layer attack on a
> sensor network and to detect such an attack. In order to detect an attack I
> need to have a model that would define the normal behaviour. So the actual
> variation of temperature throughout the year is not very important out here.
> I have a set of data for a period of 7 days which is assumed to be the
> correct behaviour and I need to build a model upon that data. I may refine
> the model later on to take into account temperature variations throughout
> the year.
>
> Yes I am trying to build a model that will predict the temperature just on
> the given time of the day so that I am able to compare it with the observed
> temperature and determine if there is any abnormality. Each node should have
> its own expectation model (i.e. there will be no correlation between the
> readings of the different nodes).
>

> Steve Lianoglou-6 wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Oct 21, 2009, at 12:31 PM, Aneeta wrote:
>>

>>> Greetings!
>>>
>>> As part of my research project I am using R to study temperature data
>>> collected by a network. Each node (observation point) records
>>> temperature of
>>> its surroundings throughout the day and generates a dataset. Using the
>>> recorded datasets for the past 7 days I need to build a prediction
>>> model for
>>> each node that would enable it to check the observed data against the
>>> predicted data. How can I derive an equation for temperature using the
>>> datasets?
>>> The following is a subset of one of the datasets:-
>>>
>>>      Time              Temperature
>>>
>>> 07:00:17.369668   17.509
>>> 07:03:17.465725   17.509
>>> 07:04:17.597071   17.509