[R] Statistical tests and measures for "cone-like" distributions?

Albyn Jones jones at reed.edu
Wed Dec 21 20:08:41 CET 2011

Have you tried plotting log(y) vs log(x)?


On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 02:18:56PM +0000, Matthew Gwynne wrote:
> Hi,
> Are there any special statistical tests, or functions in R I could use
> to measure "cone-like" distributions?
> I have several data-sets, which I've been plotting parts of as 2D
> plots,  where I get a "cone-like" distribution of the data points.
> That is, the data appears to be bounded by two non-parallel lines,
> starting at the origin, giving rise to a "cone-like" appearance.
> I guess I could work out it's bounding lines fairly easily, but this
> seems perhaps a fairly naive thing to do, and I was wondering if there
> are any standard tests to do? I guess one might consider the angle of
> the cone, how much of the "cone" is filled out, density of points
> within the cone and so on.
> I don't even know if thinking of a "cone" makes any sense, what it
> would mean or whether I should simply be thinking of a linear
> regression line with some non-constant variance?
> An example plot is at
> http://cs.swan.ac.uk/~csmg/aes/plots/canon_1_3_4_r1_v_cfs.pdf if
> anyone is interested.
> Thanks in advance!
> Matthew Gwynne
> http://cs.swan.ac.uk/~csmg/
> ______________________________________________
> R-help at r-project.org mailing list
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
> PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
> and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

Albyn Jones
Reed College
jones at reed.edu

More information about the R-help mailing list