[R] using " plot" with time series object - " axes = FALSE" option does not appear to work

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 16:10:08 CET 2011

Clifford Long <gnolffilc <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Dear R-help,
>
> I am told by Professor Ripley that my question (quote) wastes the time
> of (and has insulted on-list) the R developers by falsely claiming
> there are problems with their code.  I am writing, as he instructed,
> to publicly apologize to the R developers for any slight that my
> question might have generated.
>
> When posing my question, I genuinely thought that by invoking "plot"
> that it was a Base R graphics package that I was using, and not that
> offered by Mr. Ryan.
>
> As I am told that I owe an apology, I would like to do as I was
> instructed and publicly apologize on the list to the R developers, but
> not for any malicious intent, but rather for my lack of expertise and
> any unintentional insult that resulted.  (My apologies also to Mr.
> Ryan for my ignorance.)

Your post did not look insulting to me, just mildly (and understandably)
misinformed.

 It looks to me like this is a bug in plot.xts, which has the code

  dots <- list(...)
    if ("axes" %in% names(dots)) {
        if (!dots$axes)
            axes <- FALSE
    }
    else axes <- TRUE

  This would make sense if axes were *not* in the explicit list
of arguments to the function, and the default was supposed to be
TRUE.  Because axes *is* in the explicit list of arguments, this
overrides it.  I would contact the maintainer [maintainer("xts")] and
ask if this is a bug.

  cheers
    Ben Bolker