[R] [Fwd: Re: the mgcv package can not be loaded]

Simon Wood s.wood at bath.ac.uk
Thu May 26 10:57:33 CEST 2011

the current version of nlme depends on R>=2.13, according to CRAN. I
would guess that this is the problem. So I think you'll either need to
re-install an older R 2.12.2 compatible version of nlme, or upgrade R.

On 25/05/11 17:18, gbrenes at ssc.wisc.edu wrote:
> Sorry, I forgot to be more specific.
>
> I am using Windows XP.
>
> I am using R.12.2
>

> I installed both packages from the install packages menu.
>
> I always write library(name.of.library), and it is enough.
>
> But when I write library(nlme), R does not find nlme right away
>
> I load nlme first and it says package was downloaded succesfully.
>
> However, when I try to do this again in another day, R cannot find nlme,
> so I try to load mgcv with library(mgcv), then I get this message:
>
> Error: package 'nlme' could not be loaded
> In addition: Warning message:
> In library(pkg, character.only = TRUE, logical.return = TRUE, lib.loc =
> lib.loc) :
>    there is no package called 'nlme'
>

> Is there any problem with nlme that I need to install it every time I open R?
>

> Gilbert
>

>> We really need some more information to be able to help you (as
>> requested in the posting guide):
>>
>> What OS?
>> What version of R?
>>
>> How did you install nlme? Were there any messages?
>>
>> What happens when you type library(nlme) at the R prompt?
>>
>> How did you install mgcv? Were there any messages?
>>

>> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:13 AM,<gbrenes at ssc.wisc.edu>  wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I have been trying to load the mgcv package but I always get the error
>>> message:
>>>
>>>   there is no package called 'nlme'
>>> Error: package/namespace load failed for 'mgcv'
>>>

>>> I load the package nlme and still I get the same message.  I have
>>> noticed
>>> that there are some problems in using nlme in recent versions of R.  Is
>>> there any suggestion or any special issue that I should know about nlme
>>> or
>>> mgcv?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>>> Gilbert
>>

>> --
>> Sarah Goslee
>> http://www.functionaldiversity.org

Simon Wood, Mathematical Science, University of Bath BA2 7AY UK
+44 (0)1225 386603               http://people.bath.ac.uk/sw283