[R] texi2dvi problem when compiling incorrect Latex code

Ista Zahn izahn at psych.rochester.edu
Wed Oct 5 04:52:50 CEST 2011

Hi Syrvn,

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 8:43 AM, syrvn <mentor_ at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on a big R project using Eclipse/StatET/Texlipse. I'd like to
> write a Latex document within that project but DO NOT want to Sweave it.
> It's pure Latex. Via the external tools configurations I set up 2 different
> versions to ensure that my latex document is processed correctly.
>
> Version 1 (System Call):
> library(tools)
> setwd("${container_loc}")
> file = "${resource_loc:${source_file_path}}"
> try(system(paste("texi2pdf", shQuote(file)), intern=TRUE))

This "works" (i.e. the latex errors print to screen but eventually
return me to my R session) on my system (see sessionInfo below),
running R in the terminal.

> Version 2 (R Call):
> library(tools)
> setwd("${container_loc}")
> texi2dvi(file = "${resource_loc:${source_file_path}}", pdf = TRUE, quiet =
> FALSE)

This also works for me (see definition of "works" above) provided that
I omit the "quiet = FALSE" part.

R version 2.13.2 (2011-09-30)
Platform: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu (64-bit)

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
 [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
 [5] LC_MONETARY=C              LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
 [7] LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:
[1] tools     stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods
[8] base

Best,
Ista