[R] Help with R

Jackson Hooten jlhooten at eckerd.edu
Sat Nov 19 19:32:46 CET 2016

Hello R Help,

I am fairly new to R and have been scouring the internet trying to find
useful tips, tricks and advice with how to solve my problems with R. I
finally was able to find you guys, and am now asking for your help. I have
a number of different questions regarding R. My most pressing question is,
how does one get a map of a very specific area into R? I've been following
a tutorial that one of my teachers sent me and been following his code.
However, every time I input this code I get a warning message:

My teacher's code:
> plot(map, col="dimgray", border=F, add=T)

The Error code I get every time I input the above code:
> Error in plot.window(...) : need finite 'ylim' values
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In xy.coords(x, y, xlabel, ylabel, log) : NAs introduced by coercion
2: In min(x) : no non-missing arguments to min; returning Inf
3: In max(x) : no non-missing arguments to max; returning -Inf
4: In plot.window(...) : "border" is not a graphical parameter
5: In plot.window(...) : "add" is not a graphical parameter

So, what I think I figured out was that I didn't possess the "map" that my
teacher had in his R program. So I went to try and figure out how to get my
own map into my R session. I found this line of code to try and input a
good Google Earth map I found that I need for my study. But, alas, this
code didn't work either and I got more Error codes.

The code I used:
> img <-readPNG(system.file("img", "Seal_Island_Map.png", package="png"))

The Error code I get every time I input the above code:
> Error in readPNG(system.file("img", "Seal_Island_Map.png",
package="png")) : unable to open

For the life of me, I have not been able to find anything anywhere that can
help me solve these problems. What am I doing wrong? Can you all help?
Thank you and I hope to talk to you all soon.

Sincerely,
Jackson

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]