[R] Off topic, but hopefully not totally irrelevant: on MS Excel and genomics

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 16:29:49 CEST 2016

On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 at 00:13 John Kane <jrkrideau at inbox.com> wrote:

> Over the last few years I came to the conclusion that using a spreadsheet
> for anything more complicated than my shopping list was madness.
>  I am now reconsidering my position on shopping lists.
>
> Thanks Bert. I have a small collection of spreadsheet errors that have
> been  published here and there and this is a great addition.

Yes, thanks Bert - I'm a bit surprised it go that far! When I saw (in 2003)
that Excel auto-mangled dates with no way to undo it - even if I'd
accidentally opened a CSV - that was it. I still shop with a scribbled
scrap of paper that I usually lose before I need it.

We still need spreadsheets though (IMO) and this looks promising:

http://comma-chameleon.io/

Also Jenny Bryan's wonderful work in this area deserves attention:

https://github.com/rsheets

I think dplyr-via-RSQLite linked SQLite back-end with a DT flexdashboards
front-end would be a useful project for R. (Just in case someone's looking
for something to do, all the pieces are there.)

Cheers, Mike.

John Kane