[R] save R object into a remote directory

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Tue Sep 6 11:00:39 CEST 2016

Please reply to the mailing list to keep the conversation available for
everybody. I Send this mail to the mailing list as well.

Simone Tenan <tenan.simone at gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks Rainer,
> it's very kind of you.
> Unfortunately, I cannot save the (large) R object where the current R session is running. There is not enough memory and when I tried I got the error "error
> writing to connection".

OK - essential piece of information.

In this case, your best bet is trying to mount an a flder from your
client on the server and than save there.

Contact you administrator to find out if this is possible or (s)he has
other suggestions.

> For that reason I was trying to save the object of of the remote server.
>
> Best,

Cheers,

Rainer

> Simone
>
> On 6 September 2016 at 10:30, Rainer M Krug <Rainer at krugs.de> wrote:
>
>  Simone Tenan <tenan.simone at gmail.com> writes:
>
>  > Hi all,
>  > I'm using R remotely via ssh connection in linux. I need to save a large R
>  > object from the remote server to my laptop. How can I specify the path in
>  > the save() function?
>
>  You are working on the remote machine and there is no way that you can
>  specify "out of the box" a save to client machine (I stand to be corrected).
>
>  You could mount a directory on the client on the server, but I would
>  suggest to
>
>  1) save the object on the server (the where R is running on)
>  2) use scp from the client to copy the file from the server to the
>  client (the one you are typing on).
>
>  scp user at host1:file1 ./TheNameOfTheLocalFile
>
>  Cheers,
>
>  Rainer
>
>  >
>  > Thanks much for your help,
>  > Simone
>  >
>  > [[alternative HTML version deleted]]
>  >
>  > ______________________________________________
>  > and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
>
>  --
>  Rainer M. Krug
>  email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de
>  PGP: 0x0F52F982