[R] Conditional gap time frailty cox model for recurrent events

Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. therneau at mayo.edu
Tue Sep 6 15:56:15 CEST 2016

You can ignore the message below.  The maximizing routine buried within the frailty()
command buried with coxph() has a maximizer that is not the brightest.  It sometimes gets
lost but then finds its way again.  The message is from one of those.  It likely took a
not-so-good update step, and took a couple of iterations to recover.

In coxpenal.fit(X, Y, strats, offset, init = init, control, weights = weights,  :
    Inner loop failed to coverge for iterations 3 4

To be fair the maximizing problem for a mixed effects Cox model is not easy.  In the coxme
code I have spent much more time on the details of this.

Terry Therneau