[R] Have help list filters changed recently

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Sep 9 10:05:10 CEST 2016

    >> On Sep 8, 2016, at 7:35 PM, Bert Gunter <bgunter.4567 at gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> To all:
    >>
    >> r-help has been holding up a lot of my recent messages: Have there
    >> been any changes to help list filters that caused this? Is there
    >> something I'm doing wrong? -- I have made no changes  that I am aware
    >> of. Here's what I get:
    >>
    >> Your mail to 'R-help' with the subject
    >>
    >> Re: [R] with and evaluation [for example]
    >>
    >> Is being held until the list moderator can review it for approval.
    >>
    >> The reason it is being held:
    >>
    >> The message headers matched a filter rule
    >>

    >> Best,
    >> Bert

    > Bert,

    > Have there been a lot of cc's in your replies?

    > That is one thing that will tend to trigger the spam filters. I am not sure what the threshold is and I am not sure that Martin knows, but that has bitten me in the past on R-Help. As co-moderator with Martin on R-Devel, I have seen the other side of it there.

    > Might also be the e-mail domain of one of the respondents in the thread.

    > I think that it is the ETHZ SysAdmins that tend to control the formalized spam filters and heuristics.

    > Regards,
    > Marc

Thank you, Marc.

Additionally, and with a bit more details, the reason

     " The message headers matched a filter rule "

is really from the very last filter bank, which is 'mailman' and
to answer Bert's question wrt that: No, nor the mailman setup,
nor the R-help specific extra filters have changed during the
last months, probably not even during the last years.

The mailman filters however *do* look at some of the upstream
spam filter results (most of which are ETH wide), and these do
change of course, continually being adapted.

Martin