[R] gene name problem in Excel, and an R analogue

John Kane jrkrideau at inbox.com
Wed Sep 14 12:48:41 CEST 2016

 I see it (after a lot of peering at the code).  It is a nasty problem but I suspect one that would get flagged later in an analysis (well in most cases).

The Excel problem is serious in another way. Many people use Excel or other spreadsheets as data entry tool ---which I think was the cause of the issue in the gene study---and can lose the data completely if there is no paper backup. In your example, one can run str() and diagnose the problem and  recover (i.e. convert)the data.

If I have 30,000 rows of data in a spreadsheet is there anyway I can tell if some of my character data has converted to numerical dates and convert back?

John Kane
Kingston ON Canada