[R] Convert a character to numeric

Tue Apr 9 15:02:07 CEST 2019

On 09/04/2019 7:30 a.m., Jim Lemon wrote:
> Hi Bienvenue,
> Perhaps you should ask whether you really want to "sort it out". The
> warning is telling you that you are converting the NA values to NA in
> the returned numeric vector.

I don't think that's what it is saying.  I think it is saying that a
non-NA value is being converted to NA, because R can't figure out what
number it is.  For example,

 > as.numeric(c("1", NA))
[1]  1 NA
 > as.numeric(c("1", NA, "one"))
[1]  1 NA NA
Warning message:
NAs introduced by coercion

  I can't think of anything more sensible
> to do with NA values. You may also have character strings that cannot
> be converted into numbers, which will also generate NA values.

I think that's the only way that message will appear.

Duncan Murdoch

  Maybe a