[BioC] Installing bioconductor under MacOsx

Martino Barenco sejjmba at ucl.ac.uk
Thu May 1 17:33:21 MEST 2003

Hi,

I am running R under X11 (MacOsx) and when I try to install
bioconductor (Unix/Linux procedure), I get the following message:

 > getBioC(libName="all")
Running getBioC version 1.2.28....
If you encounter problems, first make sure that
you are running the latest version of getBioC()
which can be found at: www.bioconductor.org/getBioC.R

Please direct any concerns or questions to
bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch.

Error in getBioC(libName = "all") : You do not have write access to
/sw/lib/R/library
Please check your permissions or provide a different 'destdir' parameter

Then, trying the "destdir" option, I get:

 > getBioC(libName="all",destdir="/Users/martinobarenco/Desktop/biocond")
Running getBioC version 1.2.28....
If you encounter problems, first make sure that
you are running the latest version of getBioC()
which can be found at: www.bioconductor.org/getBioC.R

Please direct any concerns or questions to
bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch.

[1] "Installing reposTools ..."
ERROR: cannot write to or create directory '/sw/lib/R/library'
Error in upDatePkgs(relLevel, PLATFORM, destdir, method = method) :
         Failed to install package Biobase

What should I do?

Other Information:

-The version of R I use is 1.7.0 and was installed via fink:

 > R.version
          _
platform powerpc-apple-darwin6.5
arch     powerpc
os       darwin6.5
system   powerpc, darwin6.5
status
major    1
minor    7.0
year     2003
month    04
day      16
language R

I also tried the whole thing via the carbon version of R (1.6.2), which
works fine, except that it has no widgets and the functionalities I am
interested in (normalisation/summary procedures in the "affy" package)
crash because of some Fortran/C thing missing.

Thanks a lot

Best regards

Martino

Martino Barenco