[BioC] Installing bioconductor under MacOsx

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Thu May 1 10:28:07 MEST 2003

Martino Barenco <sejjmba at ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am running R under X11 (MacOsx) and when I try to install
> bioconductor (Unix/Linux procedure), I get the following message:
>
>> getBioC(libName="all")
> Running getBioC version 1.2.28....
> If you encounter problems, first make sure that
> you are running the latest version of getBioC()
> which can be found at: www.bioconductor.org/getBioC.R
>
> Please direct any concerns or questions to
> bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch.
>
> Error in getBioC(libName = "all") : You do not have write access to
> /sw/lib/R/library
> Please check your permissions or provide a different 'destdir'
> parameter

Sounds like you need to install as root, in this case, i.e. sudo R and
then go on.   BUT, you probably REALLY do not want to do this.  I
mean, REALLY do not want to do this (should I say it a 3rd time?).

> Then, trying the "destdir" option, I get:
>

> getBioC(libName="all",destdir="/Users/martinobarenco/Desktop/biocond")
> Running getBioC version 1.2.28....
> If you encounter problems, first make sure that
> you are running the latest version of getBioC()
> which can be found at: www.bioconductor.org/getBioC.R
>
> Please direct any concerns or questions to
> bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch.
>
> [1] "Installing reposTools ..."
> ERROR: cannot write to or create directory '/sw/lib/R/library'
> Error in upDatePkgs(relLevel, PLATFORM, destdir, method = method) :
>         Failed to install package Biobase
>
> What should I do?

Looks like a bug in the installer function.  Jeff?

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini rossini at u.washington.edu http://software.biostat.washington.edu/
Biostatistics, U Washington and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

FHCRC:Tu: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email
UW  : Th: 206-543-1044 (fax=3286)|Change last 4 digits of phone to FAX

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments ... {{dropped}}